- “Security for the American people” — emphasizing military superiority, cyber security, border surveillance and weather prediction;
- Artificial intelligence, quantum information sciences and strategic computing;
- Communications connectivity and autonomy of driving and unmanned vehicles;
- Next generation manufacturing, including digital manufacturing, robotics, industrial Internet of Things, machine learning and AI;
- Space exploration, including research into long-duration spaceflight, in-space manufacturing, cryogenic fuel storage, space-related power and propulsion;
- “American Energy Dominance” — no specific research priorities are discernible from the memo;
- Medical innovation — personalized medicine, disease prevention, health promotion and translation, veteran health care and aging populations; and,
- Agriculture, including precision agriculture, aquatic technologies and input minimization and yield maximization.
The president’s FY 2020 budget, in which the memo’s guidance is to be evident, should be released next February.