The 2017 Edison Patent Award winners — which include Merck & Co., Inc. and Johnson & Johnson subsidiary Ethicon, member companies of the HealthCare Institute of New Jersey (HINJ) — are:
- Biomaterials: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- Biomedical: New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
- Energy: Siemens Energy
- Environmental: BASF
- Imaging Systems: Princeton Plasma Physical Laboratory
- Industrial Process: ExxonMobil
- Information Technology: Avaya
- Instrumentation: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Materials: Honeywell
- Medical: Ethicon
- Pharmaceutical: Lexicon Pharmaceuticals
- Pharmaceutical: Merck & Co., Inc.
- Technology Transfer: Princeton University
- Telecommunications: Nokia Bell Labs
In addition, the R&D Council of New Jersey will honor three persons with special recognition:
- Science & Technology Medal: Michael J. Sofia, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer, Arbutus Biopharma Corporation, Discover, Sovaldi (sofosbuvir)
- Chairman’s Award: P. Roy Vagelos, M.D., Retired Chairman and CEO, Merck & Co., Inc., Chairman of the Board, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Educator of the Year: Laura Overdeck, Founder, Bedtime Math, Chair, Overdeck Family Foundation
The reception begins at 5:00 p.m.; awards ceremony at 6:00 p.m.; reception to follow. Dress is black-tie optional.
RSVP no later than October 18. To register or to learn of sponsorship opportunities, contact Executive Director Kim Case at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-274-8336 or click here.
For more than half a century, the Chatham-based Research & Development Council of New Jersey has been dedicated to cultivating an environment supportive of the advancement of research and development in New Jersey.
Established in 1962, the Council was created to serve as a unified voice for the three R&D sectors — industry, academia and government — to work with the State to create an environment R&D could thrive in.
The R&D Council is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization whose membership includes representatives from academia, government and industry, including several Fortune 500 companies.
More information can be found at the R&D Council’s website at www.rdnj.org.